Pages

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

T-shirt, Jeans, and Rainbows

      It feels like it's been awhile since I've shared any good buys. Over the weekend, we decided to go to Old Navy and check out their sales. I'm really glad we went because the girls are in need of pants and pajamas. For Kyleigh we got two pairs of jeans on sale for 2 for $11 each. Then for Abby, I found one pair of jeans and one pair of corduroys for $2.99 each!! I found them in the clearance section and was going to get them for $5.99 a piece, but they came down even more at checkout. I was super excited! The moral of this tale? Go to Old Navy and look through the clearance items because they come down another 40% at checkout!
      Now of course I can't go to Old Navy and not look through the clothes for me for a good deal. Their waffle-knit long-sleeve tops are 2 for $16. Naturally I had to take advantage of this deal and got a white and a green. I don't have any green shirts, so I'm excited that this one looks good. :) But there is another deal going on right now that I'm considering going back and getting more. Their perfect fit tees, v-neck and crew, are only $5! I got a dark heather gray and don't want to take it off. It is incredibly soft and fits wonderfully! Like I said, I'm considering going back and getting one or two more. So there are my good deals.
Jean Anderson
      In addition to clothes shopping (the first time in a really long time might I add), we also went to the library. One of the reasons I was looking forward to going to culinary school was to learn about all different cuisines. Since that isn't a possibility, where does one go to learn about something? I turn to books. Always. (That is how I taught myself to knit actually.) If I don't know something or how to do something, I read. That is where the library comes in. I want to learn about different cuisines. What makes it different from others, what is special about it, and so on. So while at the library this last time I found A Love Affair with Southern Cooking by Jean Anderson.  Yes I am a southern girl, so why would I be reading up on southern cooking? Especially when I've lived in the south all my life. Well, it's simple. I want to learn what sets it apart from other cuisine. I will post as I go. ;) I'm excited!
      Lately I have been craving some good 'ole comfort food. Last night, after going to the grocery to get what I needed, I decided to make meat loaf. For those who know me well, touching raw meat is something I go to great lengths to avoid. Last night was a turning point. I took off my wedding rings and went in with both hands. It turned out fantastic and I wanted to share my recipe. (Yes mine. It's only the second time I've ever made it but I was goin' by the seat of my pants.)


Good 'Ole Meatloaf, makes 4 servings
1 lb      lean ground beef
3/4 c.   panko bread crumbs
2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp thyme
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp rubbed sage
1/2 tsp dried basil
1 tsp    parsley
1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
 1        egg
1 Tbsp oil, especially if using ground turkey
1 c.    chopped onions, fresh or frozen


Meatloaf Topping:
1 small can tomato paste
about 1 c. tomato sauce


Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Spray 4 mini loaf pans or 1 medium loaf pan with cooking spray.
Measure out all ingredients and place in bowls around where you are working to make it a little easier; and so you won't have to touch a lot of little bottles with meat-covered hands.
In a large bowl, drop in the ground meat. Add in all dry ingredients and work in with your hands. Add in egg and oil and continue using your hands to mix it up. Finally, mix in the chopped onions with your hands.
Divide evenly among the four mini loaves, or shape it into the one medium loaf pan.
Cook for 25 minutes. Turn the oven off and let the meatloaves sit in the oven for an additional 10 to 15 minutes.
While the meatloaf is in the oven cooking, make the sauce. In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, heat up tomato paste. Once it is warmed through and can be stirred easily, stir in the tomato sauce. Cover, stirring occasionally.
Enjoy with mashed potatoes and mixed veggies!

No comments:

Post a Comment