Pages

Friday, October 1, 2010

First day of October has arrived!

The first day of October is finally here! With the new month comes exciting events that are awaited all year long: the state fair and Halloween. Something else comes with the new season: pumpkins. My girls are beside themselves with renewed excitement each time they see pumpkins outside the grocery store or at the Farmer's Market. My 15-month-old can barely contain herself and her barely 2 1/2-foot tall body starts shaking while exclaiming "ooooo" and points her chubby little finger at the sea of orange before her. My four year old starts running up and down the rows of pumpkins that are nearly as big as she is and it will be awhile before I can reel her back in.
Another thing my 4-year-old and I enjoy doing together is baking. The fall is an especially fun time for this since pumpkins are "in season" as well as apples and the fall squash. For our pumpkin bread, we prefer to use fresh pumpkin instead of the canned--who wouldn't? We made some a couple weeks ago (the first batch of the season) and it turned delicious! So last night we decided to make more. I have been using this recipe for years now and it is good every time. However, last night's batch didn't turn out well at all! I can't figure out what went wrong. I didn't forget anything and we followed the directions, same as always. It just didn't seem to rise even though it was in there long enough, same as always. I am really bummed. It has always turned out well. Guess we'll just have to do it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment