Pages

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Cookin' By The Seat Of My Pants

Dinner was huge success! I'm so excited that I could barely wait to come post it! I went into the kitchen without a clue as to what I was going to make and came out, with this:


*This is a good quick soup that has all the flavor of a crock-pot soup that has been cooking all day.*

1 can beef broth
1 can cream of potato soup
1 tsp minced garlic
1 large tomato
1/2 red bell pepper
1 c. chopped frozen onion
2 tsp. capers
1 c. pureed fresh pumpkin
1/2 tsp. ground allspice
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp. dried basil
1/4 tsp. dried thyme
couple pinches of kosher salt

In a soup pot over medium heat, combine broth and cream of potato soup. Stir in minced garlic. While that is heating up, diced up the tomato and stir it in. In a saute pan over medium-high heat, pour about 1/2 c. wine (or oil). Dice up the bell pepper and add to the saute pan. Also add the frozen onion and capers. Sprinkle a pinch of salt overtop. Stir occasionally.
Meanwhile, add the pumpkin to the soup pot. Add in the allspice, ginger, basil, thyme, and a pinch of kosher salt. Stir together. By now, it should be simmering. Turn the heat down to medium-low; you want it to keep simmering so the flavors will develop in a short amount of time. Stir often so it won't stick on the bottom.
Once the onions in the saute pan start turning a golden color, add to the soup pot. After a few more minutes of simmering, it should be ready but the longer it simmers then the more flavorful it will be.

I served this with my biscuits just altered a bit. Recipe tomorrow.
*Note: This recipe was enough for the 4 of us with none left over. The next time I make it, I will double the recipe and if you are going to try it, I recommend you also double it.

No comments:

Post a Comment