Pages

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Mom's Banana Bread Muffins

     Every so often, when I just don't know what I want to do for dinner, I ask Kyleigh if there is something she'd like to have. As long as it's not something crazy, like ice cream for dinner, I'll usually go along with it. Well on Thursday when asked, Kyleigh said she wanted French Toast. Sounded good to me. I had also recently bought value priced bananas with the intention of making banana muffins-- so I made those too. I only did half of the original recipe because of time.
     I was on the phone with my mom while getting dinner started. I confessed that I feel that I do breakfast for dinner a little too often. To which my mom laughed and told me that when I was little, we'd do that all the time. My Mom's Banana Muffins were a hot item in our house...something that hasn't changed over the years. Let's face it, who wants to make a big breakfast first thing in the morning? And if you do make one, like I've done on occasion one weekend morning, who is actually hungry enough to eat much at all? So breakfast for dinner solves both of those dilemmas! Thanks Mommy!


My Mom's Banana Muffins, makes 17 muffins



1 c. butter, room temperature (or shortening can be used)
2 c. sugar, divided
4 eggs, beaten
2 c. mashed banana
1 c. whole wheat flour
3 c. all-purpose flour (or all 4 c. of flour can be whole wheat)
8 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp vanilla
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease pans or, if using paper cups, line muffin pans.
Mash bananas and set aside.
Beat eggs with 1 cup sugar and set aside. Beat butter (or shortening) with 1 cup sugar til well combined and mixture is creamy. Add egg mixture and mix well. Add bananas and mix well.
In a separate bowl, combine flour, salt and baking powder.
Add the flour mix to the wet mix a little at a time. Once all of the flour has been incorporated, add the vanilla and mix well.
Bake each batch for 15-17 minutes; til the muffin tops are a nice golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment